Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Military vs. Civilian

You complain that your boyfriend/ husband has worked late all week and have barely seen him.


*I look forward to the two weeks a year we spend together.

You complain because he doesn't call you enough.

*My heart is thankful for the 15 second phone call I got last Tuesday in the middle of the night!

You whine to you friends about how much you miss him already because he is on a two day trip with his parents.

*I haven't seen him for 7 months now

You don't feel like making love tonight because you are too tired.

*We will stay up all night because we don't know when it will be the last time.

Your boyfriend/husband belongs to you.

*Mine belongs to the government.

Your boyfriend/husband is training for his game next weekend.

*My boyfriend/husband is trained to kill. (and we find that romantic!)

It's just not practical for you to drive an hour to see him every weekend during school.

*He spends $700 dollars on a plane ticket just to see me 2 days!

You hate hanging up the phone when talking to him.

*My heart breaks because I won't talk to him for another 10 days.

You complain that he doesn't take enough time out of his life for you.

*My man has to get up in the middle of the night to talk with me because of the time difference. He doesn't complain.

Your man is in a bad mood from not sleeping much this week.

*My man ran 10 miles this morning at 4 in the morning and has a full day of work ahead of him. He's lucky if he gets a few hours of sleep!

Your boyfriend/husband can call in sick when he is tired or not feeling well.

*My man works no matter what!!

You don't trust him so you follow him places to see if he is telling the truth.

*I have no choice but to trust him and even then I trust him with my life.

You don't like him talking so sexually with his friends.

*My boyfriend/husband has to chant it in drills.

You check your phone, see you missed a call from him, and decide to call him back when you aren't so busy.

*I see a missed a call and cry, because I don't know when he can call again.

You might save a cute voice message from him.

*I save them all b/c it helps me to remember what his voice sounds like.

Being apart for a month to you seems daunting.

*A month apart for me is a wish that can't come true.

You wouldn't change schools to be close to him.

*I have to move to another country to be with him.

You have every part of him memorized.

*I study pictures so I don't forget what he looks like.

You take your time together for granted.

*We don't!!

Your cell phone bill was high this month from talking too much.

*He pays 20 cents a minute to call me..when he CAN call.

You love that fancy necklace he bought you/

*I refuse to take his dog tags off, and not a day goes by that I dont have them on...

You say you miss him.

*Times that by 20!


I really wish people would understand how hard it is for us girls who love someone in the military. You can't even begin to understand how much it hurts to be away from someone you love. To worry if he's eaten, slept..if he's sick, injured or worse...You also can't understand how amazing it feels to finally be with them. Every meeting feels like the first! And for all those girls out there thinking, "Well it was his choice to join." You are right, it was. But at least he had the balls to join!! And it's guys like him that keep us free and safe while we're at war. It might have been his choice to give up staying at home with the ones he loves, but it's that choice that makes him our hero and gives you the freedom of speech... He is America's hero! So, maybe now, you won't take your time with your man for granted, maybe you'll understand a little more how good you have it, because AT LEAST he is safe and in your arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment